Friday, October 10, 2008

AidaFiqs Babywearing Story

When I delivered Adam, I had no exposure to babywearing and attachment parenting yet. We already had a simple store-bought carrier, which was bought during my pregnancy simply to complete the baby “checklist”. My confinement was a difficult one, very strict and rigid, and I was sleep deprived and constantly exhausted. I felt like I was on nursing duty 24-7 and had to hold the baby constantly. I barely had time and the extra hands to eat, let alone sleep or do other things. My baby loves to be held close (as does all babies!) and I love snuggling with him too. I turned to the store-bought carrier for help, only to find that it was way too large to fit both me and the baby. The baby’s body is supported at the crotch, which I later learned is terrible for the baby's spine! (read more on that here). I put it away and let my arms suffer for months.

If only I knew.

If only someone had shed the lights and joys of babywearing to me in those difficult early days.

Fast forward a few months. I came across The Babywearer website. They have such good information on babywearing (you could get lost in that place, seriously!) I was so eager to start wearing my baby, and yet there were no good carriers easily available in Malaysia. The only ones I could find were pouches and ring-slings, which are basically 1-shouldered carriers. My baby was already big at this point, so I was desperate for a 2-shouldered carrier. I do not own paypal (or a credit card! But that’s another story :p ) so I could not shop online for carriers. Then I came across the Mamatoto project website. It was like a moment of epiphany – I can MAKE my own carriers!

I couldn’t sew at the time so I started with a no-sew wrap. Of course I didn’t know that there’s a very steep learning curve with wraps so it was very difficult in the beginning that I almost gave up. Then I learned about Mei Tais. A traditional carrier that has all the critical criteria’s I was looking for – 2-shoulder, comfort, versatility and style! I had started sewing at this point so I was contemplating sewing my own. But it seemed too difficult to try.

But I’m glad I did because it changed my life forever. I made a Mei Tai (original) and never looked back since. Such a God-sent! My baby loved it and fell asleep the first time I tried it on! Since then I tried to convince my husband to wear it too but the long straps weren’t for him. He wanted to babywear too and asked me to make him a “Mei Tai with Buckles”. I didn’t take him seriously at first but after much persuasion and finally designed and sewed my own Buckle-Tai, which is basically a “Mei-Tai with Buckles”. He loved it so much! We’ve experimented with other carriers but our own handmade Mei Tais are still our favourites. I feel overwhelmed with pride everytime I see them together, wearing a carrier I made.

My husband decided this discovery is far too great to be kept just in our little family. He convinced me I could share the joy of babywearing with other mommies and daddies who love their babies just as much as we do.

No comments: